Friday, July 07, 2017

Kamarul Yusoff seems to enjoy distorting people's thoughts

Kamarul Yusoff's (lecturer at UUM) has a recent FB post that distorts my writings and thoughts. He simply picked them out of context.

For e.g. when I wrote that churches must address socio-political issues, I was referring to the mysterious death of Teoh Beng Hock at the MACC building. Religious communities (whether it is Muslim or Christian) should likewise be angered by such incident and condemn it.

(Unless Kamarul thinks it is okay that religious community should not be concerned over such incident.)

But Kamarul picked it out and said I am giving a blanket statement for churches to be political.
His quotations from my writings are picked out from context.
-----------------------------
Kamarul: Gesaan supaya gereja melibatkan diri di dalam politik turut ada di dalam blog beliau pada 17 Julai 2009 (Theology, Pulpit, And Socio-Polity): “I think the pulpit can and should be the avenue to preach on socio-political issues. Pulpits that have nothing to do with socio-political issues is denying Christ as the authority above all powers and principalities. And an apathetic pulpit is Christ-less.” Ia juga ada di dalam blog beliau pada 16 Oktober 2011: “The Church should not float above politics... The Church does not and should not be above politics”.

*****Original source: "I am very disturbed by Teoh Beng Hock's death.He died while under the custody of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC). Was he tortured and murdered by MACC's officers?"
(http://szezeng.blogspot.my/…/theology-pulpit-and-socio-poli…)

Kamarul: "Dedah beliau di dalam blog beliau pada 2 Mac 2015 (A Response To Islamic Information & Services Foundation's Distribution Of Translated Quran) pula, Qur’an yang diedarkan secara percuma oleh Institut Kefahaman Islam (IKIM) perlu diambil oleh penganut Kristian bagi tujuan evangelical (for evangelical purpose). Tegas beliau: “Reading other religious texts help us to understand how best to communicate with the religious others when we share our perspective of Christianity. Besides facilitating mutual understanding, it also enables us to introduce our faith to them with illustrations and analogies that are relevant to them.”

*****Original source states that I advocate the reading of each other’s religious literature in response to MCCBCHST’s statement: The Malaysian Consultative Council for Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism and Taoism (MCCBCHST) has since produced a statement to reprove the programme. The council states that the actual intention of the programme is “to propagate the Islamic faith to the Non-Muslims under the guise of removing misconceptions of Islam.” The statement also condemns the programme as “obnoxious as a similar right is not given to Non-Muslims.” Therefore, the council advises non-Muslims not to accept the translated Quran.
(http://www.newmandala.org/iis-quran-distribution-one-respo…/)

Kamarul: "Di dalam blog beliau pada 10 Januari 2010 (Secular & Non-Secular Polity Vis-A-Vis Inter-Religious Relation), beliau menyatakan Malaysia tidak pernah menjadi sebuah negara sekular (Malaysia has never been a secular state). Di dalam blog beliau pada 1 September 2010 (Secularists Are Often Clueless About The Real World) pula, beliau menghentam teruk golongan sekular dengan menyifatkan mereka “basically ignorant of the basic characteristic and nature of contemporary modern politics, including the one--secularism--which they are dedicated to propagate” dan dengan menggesa mereka “to come out from their coconut husk”.

*****Original source describes the state of “secularity” in Malaysia as not entirely like the secularity in other countries: The fact that the National Principle does not list 'Kepercayaan Kepada Allah' ("Belief in Allah") indicates a supra-secular polity that is religiously inclusive. (I term it 'supra-secular' and not 'post-secular' because Malaysia has never been a secular state as compared to countries that find secular polity a status quo like Singapore, or those that are not settled with the status quo like England and the U.S.A.) The citizen's religious belief is not only recognized but assumed by the state. The state's polity is grounded on this assumption and hence religious influence over the matters of the state is common.
(http://szezeng.blogspot.my/…/secular-non-secular-polity-vis…)

Kamarul: Saya sebenarnya cukup pelik dengan cara Joshua Woo cuba berlagak sebagai pakar dalam bidang agama Kristian walhal sewaktu belajar selama tiga tahun di Trinity Theological College, Singapura, dahulu beliau mengaku beliau hanya mendapat gred rendah yang menyebabkan beliau tidak dapat memohon untuk menyambung pengajian ke peringkat lebih tinggi. Ini terkandung di dalam blog beliau pada 20 Januari 2011 (Second Year, Second Semester): “And due to that my overall grade is affected. I got comments that my assignment had no theological reflection, empirical support, etc. Now I can't even apply for postgraduate studies as my grade doesn't meet the minimal requirement (which I was told is B+).”

*****Original source is actually my complaint that my courses were not academic enough, thus I didn’t do well in those subjects that are not academically-based: Though I can be very wrong but my hunch is that some subjects in the present curriculum are so patronized by contemporary social and economic milieu that they have lost their theological seriousness, if not credibility. These subjects are what I consider as pseudo-theology, if not pseudo-academic. They are crafted to demand criticality which themselves cannot bear to engage in. There are courses that require students to engage with them critically. But when that happened, the curriculum cannot withstand the engagement and simply collapsed. Therefore, I have tried not to engage with these subjects critically because I know that they will collapse. I chose to refrain myself, just as other classmates did. And due to that my overall grade is affected. I got comments that my assignment had no theological reflection, empirical support, etc. Now I can't even apply for postgraduate studies as my grade doesn't meet the minimal requirement (which I was told is B+). That is fine.""
(http://szezeng.blogspot.my/…/second-year-second-semester.ht…)

No comments: