Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Back to Singapore during SG50 weekend

I went back to Singapore over the SG50 weekend.

After being away for 4 weeks, it was a relief when I walked into Changi airport's toilet and found that the soap dispenser actually had soap and worked!

In fact, the soap dispensers in every public toilets that I entered were likewise functional. This is rare in Malaysia.

I managed to catch the "LKY" musical, which is based on Lee Kuan Yew's life, from his schooling days until Singapore's independence.

I left the theatre feeling happy for Singapore. But sad for Malaysia.

Singapore is what Malaysia could have been. Or vice versa, as determined by historical circumstances and national leadership.

Speaking of the latter, the late Lee Kuan Yew and his fellow founding fathers of Singapore are to be acknowledged. Their tireless works have left traces throughout the island. Their legacy pervades through generations.

In fact, it was Lee Kuan Yew's now-immortalized words that have largely prompted me to relocate back to Penang after having spent 12 years in Singapore: "At the end of the day, what have I got? A successful Singapore. What have I given up? My life."

His dedication and vision have made Singapore into what she is today. He and Singapore are great inspiration to the developing world.

Therefore, I rejoice together with Singaporeans in their golden jubilee for what their wonderful nation stands for. There is much Penang can and should learn from.

Perhaps one day, the soap dispensers in Malaysia will contain soap and work too.

No comments: