Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Exams-Assignment Marathon

Have been busy for the past two months to prepare myself for the exams and to finish writing the essays. At last, just now, I have slotted the final required assignment into the lecturer's mailbox in the college. That marks the end of this semester. The first year in a theological studies has officially ended for me.

I wrote 3 essays altogether in the past three weeks. Almost one a week. For Simon Chan's 'Holy Spirit in the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement' class, I attempted to discern the activity of the Holy Spirit in the creation. Through this paper, I come to recognize the personhood of the Spirit in relation to Christ and the church. After submitting the paper, I went on to examine the relationship between creation and eschatology for Roland Chia's 'Theology II' class. The most satisfying and also the most creative part of the essay is the development of a theology of death. in relation to creation and eschatology. And finally, for the third paper, I ventured to narrate the theological scene in Singapore in the first half of the twentieth century by exploring the founding histories of Trinity Theological College and Singapore Bible College. When I proposed this topic to Andrew Peh, the lecturer, he remarked that this would be a 'touchy' issue. The reason why I chose this topic is because I am really curious why is there still a persistent impression among some local Christians that TTC is a liberal institution. And in the paper, I traced the origin of this impression.

I have learned a lot from the research conducted for these essays. They will be posted here together with comments when I got back the papers.

5 comments:

Wilson Tan said...

I want to read your third paper!!! can email me? :p

Sze Zeng said...

Hi Wilson,

Thank you for your interest! So, you like 'touchy' issue too huh? :-)

Kar Yong said...

Quite similar situation in Malaysia. There are still quite a number of people within the evangelical circles who think that STM is liberal. This is indicative by the question I have been asked many times over: "Why do you join a "liberal" seminary instead of MBS?"

Sze Zeng said...

Hi KY,

While doing the essay, I found out the history about STM too. Prior to its set up in 1979, there were a few consultation made with TTC in the early 70s. And I saw your picture in STM 2009 Anniversary Souvenir Magazine! :-)

But my essay has enough space for the theological scene in the first half of last century in Singapore. So didn't cover the setting up of STM, which I previously wanted to.

And I also read about MBS too. But didn't have much history. Besides, there was a time in the late 70s and early 80s where there was an impression of TTC's liberalism, but I couldn't get people who were involved in that time to share with me. He said it is too sensitive. Sigh.. But he promised to have fellowship with me and tell me face to face when he is back in Singapore.

Cheat Grace said...

I would like to read your third paper too. Could you email me. I think the liberal label were probably from the time when they had mostly foreign meaning caucasian lecturers. Look forward to reading your views. Kudos