Thursday, April 01, 2010

Solemnity @ Presbyterian Easter Convention

Attended the Presbyterian Easter Convention 2010 yesterday. Mark Chan, Lecturer in Theology at Trinity Theological College, expounds the Passion narrative from Matthew, Luke, and John. The topic for the first session was 'Darkness Illuminated'. One question I took away from the session:
"What will we do when we come face to face with the truth?" (Will we behaved like the intolerant Sanhedrin or, more remarkably, Pilate whose notion of truth is always a question, "What is truth?" [John 18.38]).
After the session, Joycelyn asked me why was I so serious and solemn during the session (usually I am bubbly around her). I told her that I was trying hard to ground myself in focus, letting go all my guts in order to remain open for and bare-naked in front of God. Examining ego and pride in light of Christ's passion.

Later that night, while waiting for my hair to dry, I read about Rowan Williams' comment on prayer which I think parallel with what happened to me at the session:
"The challenge is to find enough time to become quiet enough and still enough. And all the [emphasis on] the need to attend to your body is not about exotic yoga techniques. It is how do you use your body in such a way that you can actually centre it to be where you are. Somebody once said that the deepest problem in prayer is often not the absence of God but the absence of me. I'm not actually there. My mind is everywhere." (Rupert Shortt, Rowan's Rules: The Biography of the Archbishop of Canterbury (USA: Eerdman, 2009), p.152)
The archbishop summed it much better than I can. "It is how do you use your body in such a way that you can actually centre it to be where you are."

No comments: