Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Christianity is "a way of life"? Give me a break

During my teens, when I was a Buddhist, I was already told that Buddhism is not a religion but a way of life. Later on when I became a Christian, I was told that Christianity is not a religion but a way of life. And from my engagement with Muslims, I was told also that Islam is not a religion but a way of life.

The last time I heard this was coming out from Rev. Dr. Edmund Chan's mouth during my visit to their new church at Woodlands. He repeated the mantra "Christianity is not a religion but a way of life."

But what's wrong with the word "religion"? Is the term so embarrassing that we need to masked it up as "way of life" or other similar terms?

This is another evolved shape:



These Fengshui masters know the way. The way to what? To life? To health and wealth? Spare the rhetoric. To those like myself, this sort of obfuscation simply doesn't work.

1 comment:

reasonable said...

Two opposite errors found among some people in Asia:

1. Too much respect for religion such that anything that falls within the category of "religion" are alost like immuned from criticism. If one dares to give criticism of a religion one risks being brought to court under certain Legal Act.

2. Failure to understand religion's rationality and value
[so we have some people saying "ours is not a religion but a way of life" or we have others looking down on religion as if religion is synonymous with irrationality or superstition]