Saturday, August 08, 2009

Theological chitchat as revision session


Last time when I was actively coordinating Agora Singapore's activities, I intentionally created an informal and friendly environment for theological discussion. Hence I always referred to those meetings as "theological chitchat".

Reason is not merely that people are more open to talk, but also we are able to interact more in chitchat manner. And because of such environment, people absorb and process information better. This is of course just my observation which is confined to my context.

Since the beginning of last week, I have been thinking about having such chitchat session in the college as a revision for foreign student who are struggling with some of the academic subjects because they are not used to listen, reflect, and talk theology in English.

At first, I doubt whether I want to do that because it is a commitment on my side. If I want to do it, I'll make it a weekly affair because that will really help my classmates. The thought was still lingering in my mind until the middle of the week.

During the Church History class' break, I went to the college's cafeteria and saw Tony Siew having his 'char beehoon' there. So I joined him, and we started chitchatting. He shared about his interesting experiences in secular universities. And in the midst of the conversation, he suggested to me that I can help struggling students to revise the subjects. I took his suggestion seriously, as that was what has been in my mind too.

So yesterday we had our first theological chitchat at the student lounge. Basically it's a revision session for two of my friends who are from Vietnam and Thailand respectively. We chitchated about that morning's Theology lecture (the only subject that I'm more confident to help). And I was glad doing it because I get to re-learn and mind-map (H/T: Sivin) the lecture myself. At the end of the day, everyone learned.

2 comments:

blogpastor said...

This is encouraging and hope inspiring.....to know that Christians can take time to help others out, often at expense of one's own marks. PTL.

Sze Zeng said...

Hi Kenny,

Probably that's because I've prepared myself with low marks. That means, I'm OK even if I get low grades.

The recognition is always that I'm here to learn, not to score marks. Something I picked up from Tony Siew's Greek class. :)

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the revision session myself.