Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Chapel services, vesper, and religiosity

In a week, TTC holds 3 chapel services and 4 vesper services (evening prayer service) for its community. At most I attend only 2 chapel services and may be one vesper per week. Usually I don't attend vesper.

Some brothers and sisters are gifted to have the anticipation to be refreshed and strengthened through rituals. On one hand, that's the time when they are reminded of the divine presence in them and for them. On the other hand, that's also the time when they are able to quiet down themselves to be made aware of and marvel at their creator and sustainer.

I'm encouraged and sometimes envy those who attend all the services. Yet I cannot join them. Two reasons. And two of them have to do with my daemon.

You see, my daemon is tiny and weak. It's a squirrel called Max.

First, Max is tiny and cannot eat much. And since daemon are fed by spiritual food which often comes through sacred rituals like chapel services, Max's size do not allow it to enjoy that abundance.

Second, Max is weak. Too much religiosity will result in religious overdosed. And like any other overdosed, this trait is as much harmful. Max's body cannot take in that much amount of religiosity. 3 chapel services are enough to guarantee white foam coming out from Max's mouth.

Each of us are given different kind of daemon to be grateful of.

For someone like Brother Lawrence, whose daemon was a Tyrannosaurus Rex, was blessed with enormous appetite for the ever-presence of religiosity. Or, say someone like Teresa of Avila. Her daemon was a Blue Whale. Hence her religiosity was as deep as the whale's venture in the darkest and deepest seabed.

And I have to be grateful for my Max. Each are given differently. As St. Paul said it,
"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you." (Romans 12.3)
And here is Max. I took the picture while it was concentrating on this morning's church history lecture.


1 comment:

Nalika said...

So funny ah you.