Friday, June 12, 2009

What I found yesterday

Acts Lifestyle, that hosted Prof. Thio Li-Ann's recent public talk, has a bargain corner with books priced at SGD$3 to $10. At that corner I found:



Karl Barth and the Strange New World within the Bible: Barth, Wittgenstein, and the Metadilemmas of the Enlightenment by Neil MacDonald.

I got it at SGD$5! Usually works from Paternoster Theological Monographs series, which this book belongs, market at between SGD$50 - $70.

Previously I've read MacDonald's essay in Renewing Biblical Interpretation, and some parts of his Metaphysics and the God of Israel. The impression that I have is that he is a theologian working from philosophy of language and the analytic tradition. Hence he argues around (thus confined within) language structure to establish his case. And such exercise might appear to some as overly repetative and rather simplistic yet nuanced and solid, without stretching much imagination.

No comments: