Thursday, May 14, 2009

Surprised by my collection of Alister McGrath's works

Only the past few days I realized that I have a few of Alister McGrath's books:

A Passion for Truth
T.F. Torrance: An Intellectual Biography
The Genesis of Doctrine
The Twilight of Atheism
Christian Theology: An Introduction (4th Edition)
The Order of Things: Explorations in Scientific Theology
Doubt in Perspective: God Is Bigger Than You Think
The Science of God

I'm not a conscious fan of him except his work on Scientific Theology, so it's rather surprising that I have collected many of his works.

In fact, I'm looking forward to acquire his 3-volumes of Scientific Theology and his future 3-volumes of Scientific Dogmatics, besides his latest two books on Natural Theology and Fine-Tuning. If that happens, I'll have 16 books by him. It's just weird that I'm not a die-hard fan yet have many of his works. Compared to my collection of N.T. Wright, only 6. Rowan Williams, only 2.

Hence my collection of McGrath's works are more 'theme-driven' rather than 'fan-driven'. That means I bought his works because of certain themes that interest me. I didn't buy because I like him. But as I read his works, I do feel more and more inclined to his thoughts.

5 comments:

Rubati said...

Erm...

Shouldn't you be brushing up on your Euclidean axiomatic geometry and vectorial physics to have a grasp of the technical sciences?

Sze Zeng said...

Time will come for them. Everything has its time. And technical sciences are not the only things I need to be familiar with, it's only one among many.

Rubati said...

But surely it has to be the first thing. It is just plain common sense that if you want to dialogue with your partner, knowing your partner's field is the first step? If you want to dialogue with a Catholic, surely a command of catholic theology is necessary rather than just a history of catholic theology or even a mere philosophy of catholic theology.

It maybe one thing amongst many, but it is surely the foundation of all the other aspects of looking at the sciences. There can simply be no replacement for understanding science than doing it itself, instead of all the other pseudo-methods (i.e. philosophy, sociology and history)

Sze Zeng said...

Yes, I'm totally for that, but as i said, there's time for that. And I don't rush it.

Israel Lee said...

Here is my list. I acquire them because of the topics too! ;-)

1. Christian Theology: An Introduction 3rd Edition
2. The Dawkins Delusion?
3. Christianity's Dangerous Idea
4. Iustitia Dei: A History of the Christian Doctrine of Justification
5. Bridge Building
6. The Re-enchantment of Nature

The fourth item is currently on its way through ebay.