Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Random thoughts...

Last Sunday, a friend asked me where am I going to study. I told him, "TTC." He straight away replied, "The college teaches neo-orthodoxy."

And I went, "I have no idea."

Really, I have no idea. First I don't know what's neo-orthodoxy in its true and full color. Of course everyone knows that it is related to Barth and Brunner. And nothing more than that.

And second, I don't think the theologians at TTC are Barthians. Yes, there is a Barth expert, yet here is also a Pannenberg expert. And those who know these two theologians know that both of their theologies are very different from each other.

I just got back from Prof. Larry Hurtado's lecture at TTC. A good lecture, better than his previous piece presented at SBC a few years ago. He made a few points which I thought interesting:

  • The issue faced by 2nd century Christians was the question on God, not Christology. (And later he emphasize that Christian theologizing cannot be done without referring one to the other and vice versa. A point which seems contradictory)

  • The authors of the NT were reflecting and examining God not as an object but as a subject. Hence it's a 'subject to subject' deal back then.

  • Reading trinitarian theology into NT exegesis is anachronistic.

I have problem with the last point. And I'm too burnt to write it down now. Got to sleep...

4 comments:

Israel Lee said...

Did you by any chance recorded it?

Sze Zeng said...

Hi Israel, I didn't. :(

Steven Sim said...

Probably he meant that we should get trinitarian theology out of NT exegesis?

Anyway, I am interested in the second point. It sounded like a reflection off 1 Cor 8:3 which I have been thinking about for years now...hahahaha...was he there at the passage?

Steven Sim

Sze Zeng said...

Hi Steven,

He did mention 1 Cor 8 a lot of times on 'food offered to idols' but i can't remember on verse 3 in particular.