Thursday, April 09, 2009

Giving into (Holy Spirit's?) prompting...

Wednesday, I wrote about my struggle resisting to spend on the one and only copy of Karl Barth's legendary commentary on Romans. A book I have been looking for a long time but couldn't find. I don't have credit card, so can't do the Amazon magic.

Seeing my Facebook status, Steven Sim and Charlene said, "BUY."

Kar Yong, the budding NT scholar, said that it is a 'good temptation'. Asked me not to resist it.

On Thursday morning, during my "devotion", I unexpectedly came across these words from Alister McGrath,
"Barth's Romans commentary... marked the injection of a new theological trajectory into western European Protestantism... hindsight allows us to note that the foundations of a theological revolution had been laid." (p. 5, emphasis added)
That's it... Besides I've just finished listening to Stephen Tong's mis-titled 4-lectures seminar on Christology (he titled the seminar "The Eternal Christ and the Historical Jesus". It sounds more like "The Eternal Christ and the Philosophers" to me. So given that title, I conclude that Stephen Tong didn't know what he was lecturing on. And listening to someone lecturing on something he is not good at for 4.5 hours is, believe me, exhausting). So I need some fresh air, breathe in some revolution.

The (Holy?) spirit is strong on this one...


9 comments:

Steven Sim said...

why give urself so much excuses?

Bloody hedonist!

Steven Sim

Israel Lee said...

I do not blame you. I could not resist forking our RM155 for Keener's Matthew either.

While you are on Barth, perhaps Douglas Moo as well. ;-)

Kar Yong said...

So, resistance is futile, right! Therefore, resist you shall not

Moo??...Just moo him away. If you wanna a modern Karl Barth on Romans, go for Robert Jewett....But Jewett's commentary is > Rm300!

Tony Siew said...

Joshua, if there is a copy in the TTC library you can certainly borrow it. I have not bought books for months except Bibles. I try to read what there is in the library.

Sze Zeng said...

Hi KY,

If I hav a wife and she scold me for buying the book, I'll point my finger to you! :)

Jewett for RM300!!...far beyond me...

Sze Zeng said...

Hi Tony,

I'm looking forward to stay in TTC!
Then the hostel will merely for sleep. The library will be the first home.

Alex Tang said...

Great book. Worth giving in to the temptation.

Jim said...

email me your address. i'll send you a copy.

Sze Zeng said...

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much! I'll do that right away.