Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Jurgen Moltmann on 'Freedom'

"Normally we say ‘freedom’ is ‘free choice’. So we have a subject oriented understanding of freedom. I can choose this and I can choose that. But this is a limited and poor understanding of freedom. There is also a social side of freedom. I feel free when I’m accepted and people know me and I accept other people. You can make the experiment yourself: Where do you feel free? In a supermarket where you can choose whatever you want, but not even the cashier is looking into your eyes? Or in your neighborhood where they know you and you know them? I think the real feeling of freedom is where people are accepted and accepting other people."
(Jurgen Moltmann, Lecture at Trinity Institute's 37th National Theological Conference, 23 Jan 2007)

No comments: