Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Following Peter Rollins, I've to confess my denial of the resurrection of Jesus

Sivin Kit introduced Peter Rollins on his blog. And I was intriguing by Rollins' post on his denial of Jesus' resurrection,
"Without equivocation or hesitation I fully and completely admit that I deny the resurrection of Christ... I deny the resurrection of Christ every time I do not serve at the feet of the oppressed, each day that I turn my back on the poor; I deny the resurrection of Christ when I close my ears to the cries of the downtrodden and lend my support to an unjust and corrupt system."

5 comments:

Sivin Kit said...

of course, his follow up after that is worth some thought when both are reflected together. :-)

"However there are moments when I affirm that resurrection, few and far between as they are. I affirm it when I stand up for those who are forced to live on their knees, when I speak for those who have had their tongues torn out, when I cry for those who have no more tears left to shed."

Having said that, Pete Rollins is pushing the way religious language is used. Reminds me a bit of a Danish Philosopher I wouldn't ask advice on marriage on but appreciate his insights on the nature of faith. :-)

Sze Zeng said...

Hi Sivin,

Yes, that affirming part as well. Thanks for featuring this guy :)

pearlie said...

And you certainly got my attention :)

Sze Zeng said...

Just as Rollins got mine, Pearlie :)

Sivin Kit said...

to those those who have a short attention span, or are distracted, Rollins does wonders! :-P

Have fun reading his stuff . . .