Thursday, February 19, 2009

2008 Favorite Songs (Part 1) - Beep


Beep by Pussycat Dolls depicts a dialog between a typical sexually charged guy and a reserved and determined lady. And the song’s title ‘Beep’ resounds the censored tone which radio and television stations use to run over any obscene words that are aired. Usually they are in a ‘tuutt~’ sound.

The beep is used heavily on the choruses, and thus igniting the audience’s curiosity to find the censored words. I think this is a creative way for songs to interact with audiences, making it more than just a sounding. It is an invitation into the underlying context behind the song. That means it is only those who are familiar with the contexts of the song able to figure out what are the censored words.

The song starts with the lady humming a repetitive strings of ‘huh huh huh…’ in a disgusted and tiring tone. It sounds that her tiredness came from all the unwanted, uninvited attention and sexual requests that she has been receiving since her seventh grade (as depicted in the first verse).

Then the male voice comes into the first part of the chorus,
It’s funny how a many only thinks about the *beep*
You got a real big heart, but I’m looking at your *beep*

You got a real big brain, but I’m looking at your *beep*

Girl, there ain’t no pain in me looking at your *beep*

Justifying the lady’s disappointment and annoyance towards men. Then the lady retorts in a couldn’t-care-less manner,
I don’t give a *beep* keep looking at my *beep*
‘Cause it don’t mean a thing if you’re looking at my *beep*
Ha, I gonna go my thing while you’re playing with your *beep*
Besides the exchange between both genders, the song brings out the inner thought and, at times, struggles of individual ladies who are being preyed as nothing more than sexual beings in the writer’s context. The first and second verses unveil this feminists’ sentiment vividly, which seems to be telling the male audiences how deeply annoying they are,
Every boy's the same
Since up in the seventh grade
They been trying to get with me
Trying to... (Ha, ha-ha, ha, ha-ha)
They always got a plan
To be my one and only man
Want to hold me with their hands
Want to (Ha, ha-ha, ha, ha-ha)
I keep turning them down
But, they always come around
Asking me to go around
That's not the way it's going down

'Cause they only want
Only want my ha, ha-ha
Ha, ha-ha
Only want what they want
But, na, ah-ah
Na, ah-ah

Do you know that 'no'
Don't mean 'yes', it means 'no'
So just hold up, wait a minute
Let me put my two cents in it
One, just be patient
Don't be rushing
Like you're anxious
And two, you're just too aggressive
Tryin' to get your (ha)

Do you know that I know?
And I don't want to go there
However, there is a distorted portrayal of man in general in the song. Will.I.Am’s voice representing the man in the song is repeating the first part of the chorus, as if to mean that sex is the only and primary thing occupying the males. Rendering the gender as irredeemable. But such depressing over-generalization is unnecessary and misleading to both genders.

That means this is really a monologue from both gender rather than a dialog between them as previously stated. That means through the whole song, there is no really communication between both sides. The picture given is that of gender isolation, where both sides are talking without really listening. Each one are too into themselves. Thus this is not the case where the lady resists the man, but both genders resisting each other; isolating oneself from the different Other.

No doubt the song gives you plenty beats to groove along (at least to me), but if you want hope, look here: There is neither... male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3.28).

No comments: