Friday, January 23, 2009

Christ & Theatrics

Drama is a realization. Not so much in the sense of discovering something but of making real. Or in other way of saying, bringing realism back into reality. Each actor is a gateway through which the audience is brought into that realism.

Acting is the process of uncovering the already existing real. It is the ontology that determines the acting, not the other way around.

The stage is not a mere platform. It is a reality machine where fixed eyes are re-aligned, got re-fixed. A place where the real is uncovered before the observing audience.

When I played the character of a negligent son, the characteristic and mannerism of how the person relates to his parents already existing. My role is to realize this characteristic, uncovering its nature on the stage.

Hence when I improvise the character that I’m playing, I need to explore the already existing traits and reflexes that are recognizable within the context of the audience. If the character is evil, then the notion of evil embodied by the character has to be familiar by the intended audience. Thus at all time during rehearsals and practices, I have to constantly ask myself, “How can I best portray this emotion and gesture?

And this is not far from the question Jesus once asked, “With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable will we use for it?” (Mark 4.30)

No comments: