Monday, December 01, 2008

Curious about Peter Enns as 'postmodernist'

Amazon states:
"Here G. K. Beale attempts vigorously and even-handedly to examine the writings of one leading postmodernist, Peter Enns, whose writings challenge biblical authority." (Emphasis added)

Er.... Peter Enns, known for his conservative belief and who once worked at the Westminster Theological Seminary, is now a postmodernist, not to mention as the leading one?

Curious where or how did G.K Beale get this idea. Curious when did Peter Enns challenges the authority of the Bible. And curious how and why Crossway Publication allows such description...

Not sure if this is Crossway's marketing rhetoric or Beale's own non-marketing (read: right-wing conservative) one.

8 comments:

septian said...

ya, i think somehow crossway is getting more and more 'conservative' (read: modernist? :p), or is it just me who is going way too po-mo now? haha.

Sze Zeng said...

Hi septian,

er....not sure what's happening over them. I would love to get a hand on the book to find out.

:)

Kar Yong said...

Greg Beale ah...he was my NT prof when I was at Gordon Conwell....I better don't comment anymore :-)

Sze Zeng said...

Hi KY,

Oh no... unknowingly I might be interpreted as stepping his tail!
:)

PuritanReformed said...

"conservative = modernist?" Wow. Now, let's go back to reading our books of MacLaren, Bell, NT Wright and other progressives Evangelicals. After all, the future belongs to those who follow the times. Just don't talk to me about church history though. Oh wait, I forgot, our historians are experts in (re-)interpreting history, so that's fine too =)

Sze Zeng said...

Hi Daniel,

What "conservative=modernist"? I don't get it.

PuritanReformed said...

Eh, look at Septian's first comment. I think if I get 1 cent every time somebody uses that formula (conservative = fundamentalist = modernist = terrorist = bigot = hater) or any of its varients, I will be a rich guy by now.

Sze Zeng (Joshua Woo) said...

Hi Daniel,

Oh... I'm not sure about "conservative=modernist" or not (I'm 'conservative', yet not strictly 'modernistic'..hehe..). Pitting two big terms together in such a way is inviting.

Thanks for pointing :)