Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Relief...

Exam is over! What a relief... Now I can concentrate in reviewing Joseph Prince's book. Didn't really have the time to do that previously. And I need a lot of sleep. Pimples are all over my face (!).

I was the first who walked out from the class... not because the paper is so easy that I've did it all in a short time. It's the opposite; there are many questions that I don't know how to do. I think it's pointless to stare at the paper while the paper stares back at me. So I went to the library for 4 businesses: To check out the latest 'Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus' and 'Journal for the Study of the New Testament'; because these two journals have Richard Bauckham sparring with his reviewers (!). The other 2 businesses are checking out the 3 commentaries on Mark, and looking out for the budding NT scholar Kar Yong. Met Kar Yong at one of the table. He looked happy.

Anyway I prayed for the gift to interpret tongues this morning, but my prayer wasn't answered... guess I'm doomed without such wonderful 'spiritual gift'. Just imagine you are able to read and understand NT Greek, OT Hebrew, Syriac, Aramaic, Hieroglyph, and other ancient languages without the need to study! To think about it, it's strange that modern Charismatic Christians seldom asked for such gifts. Instead they like to stick with "ku raba-raba shi ka ra shan dai..."

6 comments:

Israel Lee said...

God bless you in your effort to review JP's book. I think it is important and I hope you are doing it for the sake of those who are led astray by it. ;-)

Before you ask for the gift to interpret, first you must have the gift to speak first. :-P

I think the gift of interpretation of tongues is meant as a word of revelation or prophecy so that the congregation may know that God is in their midst rather than for the practical use of learning modern or ancient foreign languages. ;-)

I think the mistake of the Charismatic church is to practice the speaking in tongues in public without adhering to Paul's advise, which leads to confusion. Instead of witnessing through the speaking and interpretation of tongues to convict the hearts of the listeners, it has become an unintelligible session of sound and vocalization.

I do often ask God for the gift to interpret the tongues that I speak, specifically asking to speak in Arabic and to be able to interpret it. But I guess God knows what I can handle and what's my level of faith. ;-)

By the way, I do not speak 'ku raba-raba shi ka ran shan dai ...' when I pray in tongues in private. ;-)

Looking forward to your review.

Kar Yong said...

Haha...Me looked happy? That's because I have written about 3000 words in less than 24 hours, complete with footnotes! Rarely am I so productive. But again, these words that I have written may not see the light... :-)

Sze Zeng said...

Hi Israel,

Each of us been given gifts...just that it will be wonderful to have such that one can read the Bible in its original language. Thank you for the well wishes.

Hope I can speak in tongues too. Never experience that before. :)

Blessings

Sze Zeng said...

Hi KY,

3000 words in less than 24 hours? Wow...a major accomplishment. I can't do that.

Hope you can chunk out a further 3000 in the next 24 hours. Then you will finish your project less than the time you estimated :)

Kar Yong said...

Not that productive today - only managed another 2500 words....But at least I have the introductory chapter and chapter 1 done for the most part. Just need to edit them at a later stage.

I am clearer as how I want to book to be shaped! Hopefully it makes sense...

Sze Zeng said...

Hi KY,

Will keep that in prayer. Hope your effort will be honored.