Wednesday, August 06, 2008

What I Do In Class...

Not only listen to Tony's lecture but also his singing. In between declining cases of the masculine logos and the feminine hemera, we have a koine Greek song in the middle.


"ο θεος ιλασθητι μοι τω αμαρτωλω ~ (God, have mercy on me, a sinner)"

It's a short beautiful Greek song which he composed in the early 90s during his stay at one of the indigenous village at Sabah (or Sarawak?... I always confused the both). If Tony would expand the song, it might be released as a hit single. Who knows it might hit the chart.


This picture is taken with a special effect to make the class looks cozy. Like some jazz bar, right?

If expanded, the song doesn't need to be entirely in Greek. The Luke 18.13 can be the chorus in Greek, the rest can be in English.

hmmm... should I tell Tony that there is this thing known as 'Singapore Idol' here?

3 comments:

Tony Siew said...

Dear Joshua, BTW I am from Sabah, not Sarawak. Sorry that there was just one verse to the song, but your suggestion that the rest could be in English is intriguing with the chorus in Greek. Maybe you can add more lyrics to music. I am no jazz singer and would not make it to the first round of Singapore Idol. The photo looks flattering, you must have touched it up!!

Sze Zeng said...

Hi Tony,

OK, Sabah. I'll drill that into my mind.

No sorry, the short song is beautiful. The class is blessed to hear that. Probably it's the first koine Greek song we hear!

Haha.. I took a few pictures and found that this one best captures the mood of someone who is enjoying singing. I only brighten the picture by 20% and enhance the contrast by 10%. So, not much of touch-up.

I'm tempted to say that you should lead the class to sing more Greek songs, but that will keep us from finishing the course on time! :)

Kar Yong said...

Yes...Tony should go for Singapore Idol, or maybe TTC Idol??

Singing Greek is a great way to learn Greek. I still remember some of the songs (like Rejoice in the Lord always, doxology, etc) that were translated into greek and sang them. We also attempted to translate a couple of simple choruses into Greek as well. A great way to make sure we get our cases for all the nouns right.