Monday, August 18, 2008

Do you believe in ultimate truth?

The answer is yes. I don't believe that the world is simply the construct of what we choose. I don't believe that the world is a kind of minimal agreement about what we can just about manage together. I believe the world, because it comes from the hand of an absolutely real God, the world is thus and not otherwise, and that education therefore is always education in reality in knowing how to relate to a truth, a reality, a life which doesn't change as we do. And it's precisely because I do believe in ultimate truth that I'm wary of premature attempts to say 'and we've now got it', because of its solidity and infinity, it's glory, we have to be very cautious about supposing that we have it now wrapped up, though we can believe it draws us and compels us and has authority over us.

(Rowan Williams, 'Faith, Reason and Quality Assurance - Having Faith in Academic Life' Questions & Answers Session. Emphasis mine.)

Yesterday, over dinner, a fellow Christian intelligentsia screwed me for being inconsistent and having no coherent 'epistemological foundation'. And guess what... he told me that he came to that conclusion through presuppositional apologetic.

He said that I'm incoherent because I'm different from him. He asserts that our difference is the differences of our epistemological foundation: his worldview and epistemological foundation is "grounded on the Bible". *gasp*

How would you react if you are me?

For a while, I thought I was talking to a Protestant Descartes. Or perhaps Caiaphas.

At such case, I just couldn't care to explain critical realism, postfoundationalism, or even Frame-Poythress' perspectivalism. My grilled fish and fries taste best when they're still warm.

No comments: