Wednesday, July 30, 2008

D.A Carson at St. Andrews Cathedral

Went to Carson's public preaching on Revelation 12 yesterday. Nothing particularly exciting or interesting being preached. Attended a few of his past lectures and preaching, read a few of his books, and I have never find Carson to be exceptionally engaging. This is life la, some people likes strawberry cake, some prefer chocolate, and I like New York cheese cake. Carson is like chocolate cake to me; good to eat but not crave for it.

I first came across D.A Carson through Lee Strobel's Case for Christ. That was about 4 years ago. At that time, I found Carson to be an excitement (actually all those scholars interviewed by Strobel in the book is an excitement to me at that time). Then I read his book (his edited works do not count) on God's love, then his book on suffering, and then his book on the Emergent movement, and finally his Introduction to the NT. The best of all is the last one. I got the second edition. It's comprehensive and up-to-date. There is a section that introduces the controversial 'New Perspective of Paul' (a subject which currently starting to fade away. Perhaps N.T Wright's next major book on Paul will revive the debate) . His other books that I've read are less exciting, probably due to my interest and not the content of his works.

If you wonder why didn't I read his Medallion-winner The Gagging of God and his latest Christ & Culture Revisited, the reason is that the former one is too huge for an over-emphasized topic (might not be the case when it was first published); as for the latter, I'm skeptical he has anything new to say. As for his survey on NT commentaries, Don Hagner told me that he is puzzled over Carson's one-sentence-passing-remark on his 2-volume commentary on Matthew. When I saw the passage which Hagner refers to, I also puzzled.

If you want to listen to Carson, go here. This guy is kind enough to link many of Carson's lectures to his site. Making our life not only less difficult but also much easier.

OK, back to Carson at St. Andrews... well, I guess I will give tonight and tomorrow's preaching on Rev. 13 - 14 a miss. Had a meeting till 10pm on Monday. Woke up at 6.30am for Greek class the next day. Then worked till 6pm. Then attended Carson's talk till 10pm. Will be like Kar Yong, dead...almost, if still don't rest.

2 comments:

Kar Yong said...

Come on...you are almost half my age!! Haha...how can be dead like me....

Sze Zeng said...

Hi KY,

hahaha... there is a saying among Buddhists that "it is not an old person in the coffin".

When it comes to death, ages doesn't matter. Inside the coffin are dead people, not young or old people.

And I think I have to start exercising. For your info, I barely move my muscle since secondary school. Stamina is very low.