Monday, June 16, 2008

Making BS Interesting

Since the youth congregation started to use a new set of Bible study material, I have not been feeling comfortable leading my group. Reason is that I was trying very hard to stick to the structured questions. The problem is that some of the questions are no-brainers, though overall, the material is really good (no perfect BS material in this world!). So when I follow the question one by one with my group, they felt so uninteresting, which its reciprocity, affects my morale.

So yesterday, instead of following strictly with the question, I used the material as a platform to open up and encourage discussion among the members in my group, allowing them to ask question relevant to their own livinghood. Interestingly, we talked about finding God's calling for ourselves, how to deal with our exposure to homosexual friends, and how to read and follow the Bible (for eg. Kosher still applies to Christian today?).

It was fulfilling even though we didn't manage to finish all the questions on the material. The group found that the guidelines that I share with them are helpful. And from their participation, they were not as bored as they used to be.

My experience yesterday is refreshing. I had not been so fulfilled leading a BS group for a while. If you remember once a while ago that I blogged about my desire to quit leading, but yesterday I've learnt that there are still many ways that I can help my group members, making their faith relevant in their context, and reciprocally, they help me in understanding more about my own stance.

6 comments:

The Inquisitor said...

LOL, good to see you revitalized.

But, erm... if you plan to continue deviating from the materials, better keep it hush hush from Amos... :P

I think you know I have been deviating for sometime...and Amos is well, not pleased to say the least, and has told me recently to stick by it.

However, my small group is too used to our independent learning that they will rise up in arms if I forced them back to the standard materials.

Haha... when it comes to the Will of the People over the Authoritarianism, we know which to choose don't we?

*wink wink*

The Inquisitor said...

Haha... Oh, I forgot to mention, your discussion is REALLY deviatory. What the heck does kosher, reading the Bible, reaching out to homosexual friends and knowing God's calling in life have to do with persecution?!

Naughty naughty...

*nudge* *wink*

Kar Yong said...

Hi JW,

Haha - I just laughed....I am one that is always guilty of deviating as well.

But glad you are continuing on leading BS, and making BS interesting and relevant. Way to go!!

Sze Zeng said...

Hi Dom,

Yes, i know you have been deviating from Cardinal Amos' order!

Anyway, I think at least you should be using part of the material even though you are running a different subject altogether. Last time I totally disregard the previous set of material some times. I pay more attention to this current set because they are much better.

hahaha... none of the subject are really related! But since the youths asked, so we just talked about it.

Sze Zeng said...

Hi KY,

Thank you for the encouragement! If there is some good tips from you, pls share with me :)

Kar Yong said...

I don't think I have any good tips. Problems with lecturer is that he only knows how to talk and talk and talk and talk.....

Just lead and share with your heart.