Monday, June 02, 2008

Got To Stop!!!!

I'm giving myself an urgent warning that I have to stop buying books and start saving.

Buying books is fundamentally buying information, and wisdom comes as bonus. If you want to be right on something, you have to buy them. No free lunch. Thus I have no qualms that books are expensive.

Yes, I used to complain a lot, but not anymore...perhaps only on Karl Barth's 14-volumes Church Dogmatics. But other than that, I don't really complain. In fact I think those who complains on book prices are probably those who do not have high value on information. Thus some people dont mind paying $750 for a DKNY's shirt. But if you tell them that Karl Barth's tome costs $750, they will dismiss you as crazy, without even care to find out why it is so. But that really shows you how much that person care about knowledge and wisdom.Anyway, I'll curb myself from lavishly spending on books. Not because I don't value knowledge, but limited resources have to take family and neighbors into account.

6 comments:

Kar Yong said...

Are you going to be like Pearlie who went on a 6-month fasting from buying books? Let me tell you, it WILL NOT work!!

I bought 6 books from my trip to Greece! How to stop? No wonder I don't have any savings.....I done even dare to look at my credit card statements now....

It's time for me to go on some "moonlighting" (read: taking speaking and preaching invitations)...hahaha

Sze Zeng said...

Hi KY,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for as long as I am able. But might get one or two books from next week's sales.

But just one or two la :)

Which 6 books that are so undeniable?

Steven Sim said...

not undeniable, as a reformed christian, reformed in both noun and adjective sense, I propose "irresistable"

Btw, I have been able to cut off my addiction from books. Though staying in book desert Bkt. Mertajam may help.

Steven Sim

Kar Yong said...

Hi Steven,

As a reformed believer, I don't think the books are "irresistable." I think it has to do with my "total depravity" towards books! This is one addition that I can't kick it off.

Sze Zeng said...

Steven and KY,

Nevermind my bad vocabulary, Steven's bad judgement, and KY's depravity. We are all "Preserved saints" :)

hahaha

Augustinian Successor said...

Just keep reading ...! ;-)