Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sex!!!

Michelle raised some irresistible questions about sex on her blog. By 'irresistible', I'm naturally crave to respond. But before that, look at her questions:

What makes 2 people wanna fornicate in the first place? Is it just addiction where you can have sex with anyone? Is it a physical connection on a different level? Is it just a moment of folly? Or is just 2 people at the right place at the right time?...


Irresistible, right?? They are especially irresistible to a theologian-wanna-be, who at this moment a young adult male whose hormones are boiling. So here is my long testosterone response:

It got people like evolutionists puzzle as to the origin of sex. Humans working on 'natural selection' and 'random variation' to form fitter survival physiology. But if parthenogenesis is more efficient to survival, why the process of evolution ends up with humans having to have sex for reproduction?

There are creatures that do not need sex to reproduce, eg. bdelloid rotifer. In fact such asexual creature survives and adapts to the environment better (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7039478.stm).

So, that poses us a question: If sexual activity is not necessary for survival on one hand and not the best way for adaptation on the other, why then humans ended up as sexual creatures? Not only that, why sexual activities for humans are so hedonistically prevalent, as contra with other creatures like tiger and panda?

The best answer that I have is that 'sex' is meant more than reproduction and pleasure for humans...ok ok...let me explain...don't fall asleep yet...

'Sex' necessitates relationship and communal. That means in order for sex to take place, there must be more than 1 party being involved. There must be a relationship. And if sex is not a necessity for survival (as exemplified by bdelloid rotifier), that means such pleasurable relationship is meant more than for the sake of reproduction. And if sex is not helpful for survival, that means such pleasant relationship has more to it than mere pleasure. And such pleasurable and pleasant relationship make us different from other creatures.

Theologians have been saying for centuries that 'sex' is for consummation. Read 'consummation', NOT 'consumption'. The latter is what prostitution is about. The former is a process of fulfilling an ideal. In this case, the ideal of sex. Since neither reproduction and pleasure are the ultimate ideal of sex, then there must be something else to it. And theologians have located the ideal of sex within the sacred mutual relationship between humans that other animals do not share. This sacred mutual relationship is known as 'marriage' to the common.

Hence, the reality of 'sex' points us to the reality of this sacred relationship. That is the ideal. Pleasure and reproduction are secondary. And theologians have proposed further that such consummation actually reflects the fundamental uniqueness of being human. It's the reflection of the communal character of the divine.

OK... you can sleep now :-)


.... now let's sing The Black Eye Peas's Grammy winner song 'My Hump', which goes like this:

They say I'm really sexy,
The boys they wanna sex me.
They always standing next to me,
Always dancing next to me,
Tryin' a feel my hump, hump.
Lookin' at my lump, lump.
You can look but you can't touch it,
If you touch it I'ma start some drama,
You don't want no drama,
No, no drama, no, no, no, no drama
So don't pull on my hand boy,
You ain't my man, boy,
I'm just tryn'a dance boy,
And move my hump.

My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump,
My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump.
My lovely lady lumps (lumps)
My lovely lady lumps (lumps)
My lovely lady lumps (lumps)
In the back and in the front (lumps)
My lovin' got you...

No comments: