Thursday, April 24, 2008

Double Life v.s Two Roles

Yesterday Michelle said that I live a 'double life'. Think she get that idea because I appear to be an introvert, (cold) cool, good, decent, and gullible person on certain occasions, and I am an extrovert, outgoing, immodest, and complicated person on other occasions.

That got me thinking.

I'm not living a 'double life' but playing different role at different occasions. And I came to distinguish the difference between 'double life' and 'two roles' (could be more than two, but use two because to go along with the 'double'; thus better terms are 'multiple life' and 'multiple roles').

Double life is when a person makes himself accountable to more than one allegiance at different occasion. Hence at different occasion, the person will adopt the appropriate persona by compromising his allegiance. This trait is an self-centered and self-contained.

For eg. Think the character Cypher in 'The Matrix'. The one who sold Morpheus to Agent Smith so that he could be channeled back into the Matrix.







Two roles is when a person makes himself accountable to only one allegiance even at different occasion. Hence at different occasion, the person will adopt the appropriate persona without compromising his allegiance. This trait is always other-centered and not self-contained.

For eg. Think Oskar Schindler (a real person!) in 'The Schindler's List'. He played two roles- one in front of the Nazi government, another in front of his workers- during the 2nd World War. Both roles are played in order to save some Jews from being executed by the Nazi.










Hope that's helpful. And I do not at any moment implying that I'm like Schindler! It's just an example! As sinful as I'm being divinely illuminated, I think I haven't reach both extremes between 'double life' and 'two roles'. Hopefully and prayerfully I'm leaning towards the 'two roles' pendulum.

No comments: