Friday, March 14, 2008

Lost in Talent

Jacksaid: don't waste ur lang chai (talent) lah... go do theology... bizness not ur field... honestly as ur fren for so many years u have a very sharp mind for theology...

SooInn: we are wondering why are you wasting your time and talent... I would go all the way to fight for scholarship for you...

Nalika: it's very rare for someone to have such deep interest in theology... follow your passion... it's better to do something that you enjoy but live modestly, than doing something that you don't enjoy and live non-modestly...

...hearing these remarks from those who know me is like being slapped. Feel like they are slapping me with 'truth'. I can't help but to wonder again and again what the heck am I doing with my life... Does one really need to live according to one's talent and passion?

Such remarks tempted me to respond sarcastically like Will did in the movie Good Will Hunting, when Sean asked him what he wants to be:

Sean: So what do you really want to do?

Will: I wanna be a shepherd.

Sean: Really.

Will: I wanna move up to Nashua, get a nice little spread, get some sheep and tend to them.

Sean: Maybe you should go do that.

But, of course, I do not respond with sarcasm when I know my friends are meaning well for me, just as Will doesn't respond like that when Chuckie said, "Look, you're my best friend, so don't take this the wrong way. In twenty years, if you're still livin' here, comin' over to my house to watch the Patriots games, still workin' construction, I'll fuckin' kill you. That's not a threat. Now, that's a fact. I'll fuckin' kill you."



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many people can have an 'interest' in making money too don't they...
So interest is just one thing, motive is another... as long as you can get the latter absolutely right.

Kar Yong said...

STM door is always open....cheap cheap only our fees; no need scholarship.... :-)

Sze Zeng said...

Hi KY,

I looked through STM's fee the other day. You are right. It's affordable. Planning something :)

Thank you for the suggestion.