Thursday, March 20, 2008

INFP's Career

Just did the Myer-Briggs personality test at facebook this morning. Again, I discovered that I'm still a INFP (Introvert, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceptive). So, i googled the careers that suit such creatures.

Careers for INFP Personality Types

INFPs generally have the following traits (those in brackets, including this one, are my add-ons):

* Strong value systems (Quite true. I always manage to stop myself from strangling the person who urged me, "don't think so much etc")

* Warmly interested in people (YES! Especially if you have long legs, slim waist, long hair, and look like Kelly Lin)

* Service-oriented, usually putting the needs of others above their own (No comments. My right hand cannot know what his left brother did)

* Loyal and devoted to people and causes (Loyal to Stephew Chow. Watch all his movie except the recent one, CJ7, because can't find the Cantonese version in Singapore. Devoted to Rowan Williams and the causes he is fighting for!)

* Future-oriented (Of course! It pronounces 'eschatology' in my language)

* Growth-oriented; always want to be growing in a positive direction (Who doesn't? My surname is not Nietzsche or Yoon)

* Creative and inspirational (No comment)

* Flexible and laid-back, unless a ruling principle is violated (Yup. I never stop buying books unless my debit card stops functioning)

* Sensitive and complex (No comment)

* Dislike dealing with details and routine work (Who does? We are not machines!)

* Original and individualistic - "out of the mainstream" (It's called 'heretic' in my language)

* Excellent written communication skills (Only memorize the fact that 's' always follow 'he', 'she', & 'it'. That got me a 'A1' in SPM)

* Prefer to work alone, and may have problems working on teams (Nope. I'm perfectly fine working in a team)

* Value deep and authentic relationships (Who doesn't?)

* Want to be seen and appreciated for who they are (No comment)

The INFP is a special, sensitive individual who needs a career which is more than a job. The INFP needs to feel that everything they do in their lives is in accordance with their strongly-felt value systems, and is moving them and/or others in a positive, growth-oriented direction. They are driven to do something meaningful and purposeful with their lives. The INFP will be happiest in careers which allow them to live their daily lives in accordance with their values, and which work towards the greater good of humanity. It's worth mentioning that nearly all of the truly great writers in the world have been INFPs.

The following list of professions is built on our impressions of careers which would be especially suitable for an INFP. It is meant to be a starting place, rather than an exhaustive list. There are no guarantees that any or all of the careers listed here would be appropriate for you, or that your best career match is among those listed.

Possible Career Paths for the INFP:

* Writers
* Counselors / Social Workers
* Teachers / Professors
* Psychologists
* Psychiatrists
* Musicians
* Clergy / Religious Workers (NO!)

4 comments:

Kar Yong said...

Hmmm....Professor sounds pretty exciting...!!

Sze Zeng said...

Hi KY,

What are you? INFP too?

*curious*

Kar Yong said...

Haha...I am ENTP

http://myhomilia.blogspot.com/2007/08/my-personality-type-entp.html

I think I am in the wrong profession - professors and religious workers are not listed under careers for ENTP!

Anonymous said...

me ENTJ

I don't mind becoming a cleric aka mafia like jesuits.

But i guess the M-B test can change with time, take it again in another 6months to one year time.

Jack