Thursday, February 15, 2007

From Drawing To Theologizing

I used to draw and paint alot. But since started working, that hobby has dropped. Surprisingly my hobby was being observed by my sister at that time. I remember she sketched on one of my drawing last time when i went mad because of that. My artwork is precious to me. By i've threw alot of them away. Guess that when one moves on, his hobbies move along.

Now i found out that my sister is studying art in her school. She is majoring in it and as a result, the house is filled with her painting. She seems to enjoy bugging me about art, even until now. Whenever i'm home, she would ask my opinion on her works. Yesterday was another day when i was bugged. I appreciate her passion and i do want to help, but I'm trying to communicate what i know about art to her. And in my trying, i realized that i's building up a framework for criticizing art. I tried to tell her about aesthetic more than showing her how to do it. Part of it was due to my laziness because drawing takes lot of concentration.

On my part, i'm more curious to find out about aesthetic than to enact or express it. I prefer to express it through appreciation and criticism.

Supposed good references:
Art in Action
Theological Aesthetic: A Reader
Aesthetics and the Philosophy of Art: The Analytic Tradition
The Blackwell Guide to Aesthetics
Grace and Necessity: Reflection on Art and Love
The Beauty of the Infinite: The Aesthetics of Christian Truth
Beholding The Glory: Incarnation through the Arts
Arts, Theology, and the Church
Theological Perspective on God and Beauty

1 comment:

Ben Ho said...

hey josh, didnt realize u were into art, painting etc...keep it up. we can discuss more next time!