Saturday, December 16, 2006

The God-Driven Life

Agora supposed to have an evangelistic pot-luck yesternight but all agorians (so Christians) turned up and non non-Christian was there. Though a little disappointed yet the fellowship was none the less edifying. In fact it's under God's sovereign ordination that the event turned out to be what it is; an Agora fellowship. And under the same providence the management of the room mis-managed can caused double-booking, so we get to used the function room free of charge. And to think about it, it would be purpose-defeating if money still were to be collected for what it turned out to be not what the money was meant for.... providence! hahaha

Benjamin facilitated the fellowship last night. He did well. Relevant questions were raised concerning our vocation and our life as Christians. Everyone shared. Thus everyone got to know a bit more about everyone in what we do or going to do and the REAL struggles that Bible-believers face.

The one main struggle that most of us share is money. We are weak when it comes to this. The power of money and its guarantees seem overwhelming. Some of us are thinking of how to get rich, some are struggling with wealth, some are looking forward for better paying job etc. As for me, i'm born to love riches, as i told them. Thus it's a big struggle for me especially when there is a calling for a humble lifestyle, not only as someone going for theological training, but as a Christian.

I shared with them a conversation i had with one of my client that embarassed me. He asked me when am i going for 'full-time' ministry. As i didnt want to talk about it with him, i simply tried to avoid the topic with a reluctant answer, 'Full-time' ministry doesn't guarantee wealth.

And so, I thought, the topic has been avoided. But he stared at me sympathetically and said, "You disgraced God and your brother and sister in Christ..." I was speechless at once. It hadn't dawn to me so explicitly that each decision and respond that we make reflect on who God really is to us and how do we really worship him.

Repent, repent~

Besides i shared about my application for sponsorship for theological training. It started with realizing the passion of doing what God wants me to do through stages of discovery and providential situations. As things keep moving, unconsciously, i've shifted my passion to do what i believe to be God's will for me to solely my passion to be doing what i wanted and hope to do. It's slippery and i fell.

Pr. Joseph Teng corrected me by redirecting me back to God. He reminds me that i shouldn't place my hope on people but rather on God. Sometimes tangilbility appears to be more reliable than things that cannot be seen. I dont deny its truthfulness but when it comes to God, it is a different category altogether. God is one tangilbility that cannot be seen yet demands some degree of faith in him.

Life should be driven neither by purpose nor reason, but God Himself.

To say that it's driven by purpose is too slippery (purpose is god), to say that it's by reason is too positivistic and arrogant (reason is god). Life itself is ever-living and not meant to be monotonous. It's dynamic. Thus Life drives life. YHWH being the God of the living drives the lives of his ever-living covenantal people whom he called through and for the ever-living Christ.

Repent, repent~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Full time ministry doesnt guarantees wealth on earth but guarantees wealth in heaven.

It takes courage to take hold of things that are tangible. It takes faith to go full time and if you do it with an obeying heart, you might just put a smile in God's face.

Cheering you on.....

Anonymous said...

I have decided
to follow Jesus
I have decided
to follow Jesus
I have decided
to follow Jesus
No Turning Back

The Cross before me,
The world behind me,
The Cross before me,
The world behind me,
The Cross before me,
The world behind me,
No Turning Back

Hopefully we can sing this song together one day! Let's count all things as rubbish to gain Christ.

Cheering you on too...

Jack

Benjamin Ho said...

Hey Josh, throughly enjoyed the fellowship with you guys the other day. MOney is certainly an area of challenge and struggle; however we can mitigate against the dangers of the love of money by shifting our attention on the good and noble things we can do with money (or even lack of) instead of the blind pursuit of money.

Ignatius said...

Indeed, we live a God-driven life rather than a purpose-driven life... because God is our reason for living!