Thursday, May 18, 2006

I Rejoice

It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
Phillipians 1:15-18, NIV


It's true that some here preach Christ because with me out of the way, they think they'll step right into the spotlight. But the others do it with the best heart in the world. One group is motivated by pure love, knowing that I am here defending the Message, wanting to help. The others, now that I'm out of the picture, are merely greedy, hoping to get something out of it for themselves. Their motives are bad. They see me as their competition, and so the worse it goes for me, the better--they think--for them. So how am I to respond? I've decided that I really don't care about their motives, whether mixed, bad, or indifferent. Every time one of them opens his mouth, Christ is proclaimed, so I just cheer them on!
Phillipians 1:15-18, The Message


This post is my gentle response to my beloved bro & sis of Agora Singapore.

Recently i have publicised Reinhard Bonnke's evangelistic rally. And due to the his controversial preacheing, some have lovingly reminded me and the rest of fellowship that we should not bring people to such rally (personally Christ for All Nations ministry is acceptable). I respect their (Agorians') decision, and as a amateur 'defender' of the truth myself, i can assure all that i really understand their concern. But i know and fully aware that my concern should not bear more importance to the extent of over-shadowing the example that apostle Paul has shown us:

"I've decided that I really don't care about their motives, whether mixed, bad, or indifferent. Every time one of them opens his mouth, Christ is proclaimed, so I just cheer them on!"

Am i above the apostle? Nay.

On the other hand, what if the Christ preached is unbiblical? If that's the case, that demands a different respond. Personally, Reinhard Bonnke's ministry is acceptable. I've looked through some of the criticism against Bonnke, but i dont find them strong enough for me to not cheer him on in evangelism.

3 comments:

Benjamin Ho said...

Hi Josh, i guess we have a responsibility to be accountable for what we preach and not to use the "as long as people get saved" reason as an excuse for 'bad theology'. part of the reason why modern Christianity is so weak is because we have forgotten what it really means to "profess Christ" and to make him Lord of our lives.

Nao said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nao said...

Amen, Joshua! I am definitely with you on this. Indeed we need divine wisdom to discern the truth and when we seek the Lord with an open heart, He'll surely show us whether what we're receiving is from Him or from man. It's so important when we see/hear things that are unfamiliar that we not respond critically but to first seek the Lord and be ready to be the one changed if we have unwittingly placed God in a box. It's so important to remember not to judge others (in the bad way) and forget that in all things, love should still govern our thoughts and actions. It is love that is the greatest commandment of all.