Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Alister McGrath Challenges Darwinist Richard Dawkins

An excerpt from an interview with Alister McGrath on his recent polemical book, Dawkins' God, on Richard Dawkins' Darwinism:

Do you expect or anticipate a book-length response from Dawkins?

No, I don’t. What I do hope for is a public debate in which he and I can dialogue with each other. I don’t necessarily mean a point-scoring debate. Neither one of us is trying to wrestle the other one to the ground. I do think that because the issues are so important, there is a genuine case for a public dialogue with an audience able to listen to us exchange views and then critique both of us. I think that’s extremely important.

Dawkins is Professor of the Public Understanding of Science. And I would argue he’s, therefore, under a professional responsibility to engage in precisely this type of dialogue because after all, what we’re talking about here is an issue of the public interpretation of science. I think here to misrepresent is a very serious thing, and I think it’s fair for him to be able to defend himself in public against that. And I’m very happy to have that debate any time he wants to. But at the moment I fear the initiative is with me, and I’m not getting a favorable response.



What do you mean you’re not getting a favorable response? Do you mean from Dawkins himself or from others who are his followers?

I am ready to have a public discussion with Richard Dawkins at any time and place he chooses. He knows that.


He refused?

Yes.

...

If you had a message for Dawkins that I could help you convey, what would that be?

Let’s talk in public.


--------------------------------

Looks like the table has been turn around. In the late 19th & 20th century, Darwinists challenged Christianity's claims; and now it's the other way around.

Here is the full interview.

--------------------------------

Richard Dawkins, the current Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford University. He was voted by 'Prospect' magazine as the most important public intellectual in Britain.


Alister McGrath, director of the Oxford Centre for Evangelism and Apologetics and professor of Historical Theology at Oxford University.

No comments: